Day Two a Double Posting ........


Church today was at Eben-Ezer Congregation in Osu which is part of the Presbyterian Church of Ghana. They have two morning services. The first which is the English service was at 7am!! A 7am start meant being picked up at 6.30 .....

As ever I was welcomed warmly and asked to bring a greeting to the congregation which I duly did on behalf of the United Reformed Church and especially Mersey Synod.


My reflections on the service are as follows:

People treat Sunday Church as a special event. They dress up, meet their friends and family talk excitedly and there is a real sense of expectation as we gathered.

I have never in all my time seen as joyful and offertory as i did yesterday. People sang and danced their way to the front as they queued up to offer their gifts. People celebrating that they were able to offer their gifts to God.  It was a joy to behold.

The sermon by Rev Erasmus Mensah Laryea was on point, practical, challenging but uplifting and hopeful at the same time.


Their reading of the Creed made me realise the bedrock of our Christian faith.

Finally and this is strange one, the worship seemed to be in two parts. There was the Ghanaian worship some of which was accapella some accompanied by a worship band and then there was the more western worship accompanied by an organ. All the singing was loud and heartfelt but the church seemed to come alive when they were worshiping in a more culturally authentic manner.

The congregation was made up of about 1000 people and it was such a joy to join with them in their worship. I do wonder what it will be like in heaven with all our different cultures and peoples?




Comments

  1. Hi Geoff, good to see that you are in my homeland Ghana and have intact visited my former church during my early childhood. I hope you had a lovely time and enjoyed the service. This made me miss home..wishing you a very pleasant stay.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts