It's Sunday, that means it must be church.


'Church', what can I say?

I've had a strange relationship with the institution of the church over the years. I've fought against it, questioned it, argued with it, enjoyed it, been blessed by it, cried about it and wondered at it.


Whenever I go overseas my love for the church is always expanded. I cannot express how much it is a privilege to visit cultures and nations from all over the world and know that I will find people who accept me, support me and welcome me all because I am a part of this thing we call church.

We all know the church is far from perfect and we realise we have not always done things that love God and love our neighbour. The privilege of leadership has opened my eyes to see that, as it struggles to communicate an alternative narrative to the one sold by the world we live in, the church has achieved a lot to bring hope and life to communities and individuals that are in pain and poverty.

Take the church I preached at yesterday in Kingston. Kingsgate United Church is a reasonable sized congregation (approx 100 people) who see themselves as a 'small' church. The worship was vibrant and respectful and was led by the Ushers. All kinds of people were involved in making the service happen and the Sunday  'shop window' was a good advert to


any visitor. It was however what followed that touched my heart. On our way to lunch in the church rooms out the back of the building I was told of the project this church runs in partnership with other NGOs and the government. The project was a training school for young people who had left school without the best qualifications and who found traditional academic study difficult. The Church ran courses to train individuals to work in the hospitality business. Training people to be chefs, maids, waiters, administrators and front of house staff, this small church was helping the next generation to find skills and gifts they had never considered.


The church is far from perfect because it is made up of people who are far from perfect. As we journey together we know we are called to hold out a message of hope and walk alongside those who are struggling to enable them to see there is a God who loves them and a place where they can belong.


“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

-Matt 5:14ff





Comments

Popular Posts