The Journey to a New Place.


The journey from Liverpool to Accra in Ghana is about 4800 miles via London Heathrow. I'm beginning to get used to all the travelling my sabbatical entails but must admit as I've got older the novelty of flying is beginning to wear off and as I visit various airports my patience and calm has begun to wear thin. I need to pray for more of the Fruit of The Spirit in my life as I travel!

Reflecting on my sabbatical has made me appreciate the  choice I  have to travel and the comfort I am afforded as I jet-set from one location to another.

The journey from Accra to Kingston in Jamaica is about 5200 miles. The twelve million Africans who were forcibly removed from their homes and families during the 17-19th centuries made that journey to the Caribbean and Eastern USA, known as the Middle Passage in cramped, deeply unhygienic conditions. It makes me think I need to do a bit of a rain check when I find myself getting flustered because the plane is 15 minutes late or because things are 'a little hot'!

Today I have begun my journey to Ghana. This will undoubtedly be the most harrowing and emotional part of my sabbatical. I'm looking forward to meeting and making new friends in Ghana as I'm hosted by the Presbyterian Church Of Ghana but I have to say I am nervous about the experiences I will encounter and the stories I may hear.


I'll keep things updated as I visit the slave forts and the markets where people were bought and sold. Do check in every now and again to see how I'm getting on, and if you're the kind of person who prays I'd appreciate your prayers as I encounter new people and situations.

A Prayer:

Loving God who came to earth to save us and set us free from the chains that bind us,

Grant us big hearts, abundant wisdom and unfailing compassion to see the circumstances others face.

May we never grow tired of loving mercy, seeking justice and walking humbly with you.

Soften our hearts toward those in need and help us to see with you there is always hope.

We ask this in the name of Jesus your son and our saviour,

Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts